Friday, March 22, 2002

The Effective Software Development Series

For over a decade, I have tried to help bring outstanding books on software
development into existence. I've written my books and CD, I've reviewed
piles of pre-pub manuscripts for Addison Wesley, and I've encouraged
prospective authors who I thought had something important to say (perhaps
most notably Andrei Alexandrescu). Now I'm pleased to report that I'll be
acting as Consulting Editor for a new Addison Wesley book series, the
Effective Software Development Series.

I've put together a preliminary series overview, and you can find it at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scott_meyers/files/ESDS%20Overview.pdf
I hope you'll take the time to read it (it's only a page and a half), but
if you're in a hurry, this is the executive summary:

The Effective Software Development Series (ESDS) provides expert advice
on all aspects of modern software development. Books in the series are
well-written, technically sound, of lasting value, and tractable
length. Each describes the critical things the experts almost always do
-- or almost always avoid doing -- to produce outstanding software.

The series has just been started, and though there are things going on
behind the scenes, we're not yet in a position to announce any titles. So
why am I telling you this? Primarily to let you know that if you are
interested in writing a book that you feel would be a good fit for the
series, or if you know anybody who might be interested in writing a book
that you think would mesh well with the series, we'd love to hear about it.
Good books require good manuscripts, and good manuscripts require authors
with development insights and experiences that make them masters in their
fields. I know that many people on this mailing list are such master
developers, and I know that they know other master developers. I want to
help make the expert advice of such developers more widely available, and
I'm hoping you'll help me do that.

For information on submitting a manuscript or a proposal, feel free to
contact me (smeyers@...) or Mike Hendrickson, the AW editor for
this series (mikeh@...).

Thanks,

Scott

No comments: