Thursday, December 18, 2003

Fixing EC++ CD's Display Problems under IE6

In March of last year, I posted a message to this list explaining that my
Effective C++ CD doesn't display properly with version 6 browsers, and I
solicited patches to address the problems. I got a patched set of files
for IE6 from Attila Feher, but to my frustration and disappointment, they
disappeared into the Legal Department at Addsion-Wesley and never came out,
so I was unable to make them publicly available.

Earlier this month, however, I got a note from Ian Roberts explaining what
changes needed to be made to the CD's files, so I took the opportunity to
write a program to perform the edits automatically. This program, CDFix,
is now available at http://www.aristeia.com/BookErrata/CDFix.zip
I'm adopting a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy with respect to AW's Legal
Department: I'm not telling them about the program, and I'm hoping they
don't tell me to stop distributing it :-)

I encourage you to give it a try if you'd like to use the CD with IE6. If
it works, great. If not, you can always delete the edited files and fall
back on the originals on the CD. And if you find ways to improve CDFix,
e.g., to make it also edit the CD's files so that they work better with
other browsers, please let me know.

Scott

No comments: